Here’s what makes them nutritiously good…
- You get a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement in each homemade bar ✓
- Protein is plant-based ✓
- High in healthy fats and fiber ✓
- Nutrient dense snack (supports healthy blood sugar levels) ✓
- Dairy and gluten free ✓
All you need is…
- 1½ cups rolled oats (use gluten free and organic oats if possible)
- 1 cup rice crisp cereal or kamut puffs
- ½ – 1 cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of chia seeds
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup coconut nectar or brown rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I like to use ‘Simply Organic Madagascar Vanilla Extract’ which is non-alcoholic dairy and gluten free)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 4 scoops of CORE Plant Based Performance Protein
- 1½ tablespoons of non-dairy mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts – to add more crunch
- Line a large square cake pan with parchment paper – use two, one going in each direction.
- Mix together the dry ingredients first – oats, rice or kamut crisps, sliced almonds, shredded coconut, chia seeds and walnuts (if using).
- In a small pot melt coconut oil over low heat, remove and add almond butter, coconut nectar and vanilla extract.
- Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add CORE and a sprinkle of cinnamon, add in mini chocolate chips.
- If mixture is dry, add a teaspoon or two of filtered water to help ingredients stick together.
- Spoon mixture into the pan and spread out evenly – use a roller or back of the spoon to pack lightly down – sprinkle some leftover sliced almonds/chopped walnuts and chocolate chips on top if desired.
- Place in freezer for 10 minutes, then remove and cut into bars. Store in containers in freezer or fridge for future healthy CORE protein snacks on the go.
Written by: Jenna Mangan, CNP